By Kevin Kidd – Executive Chef & Proprietor, 24 CARROT BISTRO
Nothing says light and fresh like a delicious salad, and this one from 24 Carrot Bistro is like a summer explosion for your palate. Grow your own heirloom tomatoes or pick them up at the Boulder County Farmers Market and make this salad your go-to warm weather meal.
2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced into wedges
12 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
6 oz. fresh arugula
½ bulb fennel, thinly sliced
2 oz. aged balsamic vinegar
¼ lb fresh basil leaves
3 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp pine nuts or almonds, toasted
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Rinse and slice vegetables and set aside.
- Remove basil leaves from stem and rinse. Pat dry.
- Combine basil leaves, garlic and nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add lemon juice and pulse again.
- With food processor on, slowly drizzle in ½ cup of olive oil until just combined. (Mixture should be loose and runny like a sauce; not a paste.)
- Pour mixture into a small bowl and gently fold in the Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. If needed, add in the remaining olive oil to thin out the mixture. Set aside.
- Combine arugula and tomatoes in a small bowl and gently toss with a small amount of the vinaigrette and a pinch of sea salt.
- Arrange the arugula and tomato on the plate or serving dish. Top with sliced fennel and mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon more of the pesto vinaigrette over top and drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!